Monday, October 19, 2009

Time for Christmas already?

Can you believe that it's almost time for Christmas (again)? Didn't we *just* have Easter? Have you started your list? What are you going to get for those you love?

If I may, I'd like to make a few suggestions for your holiday donations.

Samaritan's Purse/Operation Christmas Child
http://www.samaritanspurse.org/

My church (here in Greenville and in Jacksonville) fills up shoe boxes of toys and goodies like coloring books, crayons, small stuffed animals for needy children in other countries. I was blessed to grow up in a family where I never had to go without toys. It's simple. Get a shoebox and fill it up with toys.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still going to get presents for my nieces, but I'm also going to fill up a shoebox or two for OCC. We're so blessed in this country, and sometimes we forget about others.

If you don't want to fill up a shoebox, you can donate online.


Give to The Troops
http://www.give2thetroops.org/

I was born and raised in a military town, and I'm very proud of my country, and my military. My grandfather, uncles and father were different parts of the military. So yeah, it's pretty close to me.

This organization sends care packages to deployed U.S. troops. We know they're "over there", but sometimes a care package can be the physical reminder that we support them. Little pieces of home, to let them know that we care.

My church is filling up Christmas stockings to send! (We actually donate throughout the year, but Christmas is always a good time). If you're not sure what to send, they have a list of requested items on their website.


So as we approach this very hectic time of year, please remember those who are less fortunate than us, and those who have volunteered to keep us safe.


~Erin

1 comment:

  1. Let me know if you'd like some ideas of what troops like to get in care packages. I've been there, done that, and believe it or not, I got a few T-shirts. Also received quite a few care packages myself over the years (thanks!).

    Kelly

    ReplyDelete